Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Technology Troubles - Weird Fixes

I wanted to pass along an interesting problem I encountered yesterday that may have started over the weekend. While I was using my laptop over the weekend I noticed that a couple of times it would make a whirring sound like it was trying to start up a disk, but no disk was in it. Then on Monday I was on the Campus system entering some grades in Campus gradebook and I got these weird error reports when I tried to save what I had entered and when I would go back and check, what I had entered had not been saved. I solved that problem by saving after every few entries. At the end of the day I turned the computer off, closed it up, and put it in my bag. A couple of hours later at home I went to take my laptop out of the bag and the laptop was hot, in fact, it was so hot it made my whole bag hot. I went to turn it on and it wouldn't turn on. It was off, but it was hot (like it was in use) and making humming sounds, but it was off and wouldn't turn on. I tried plugging it in to the charger and leaving it plugged in for 15, then 30, then 60 minutes and still nothing. So I did what I always do when I have a technology problem, I asked my son what he thought was wrong.

He looked at it, tried to turn it on, again nothing. Then he removed the battery pack by turning the little lock on the back and taking it out. With the battery pack out he plugged the laptop into the charger and tried to turn it on. It came on immediately just like it always had. We checked to make sure it seemed to be working properly. Turned it off. Put the battery pack back in, and it has been working just like before off the battery or with the charger in and the battery charges up fine.

So I said to my son, "So what was wrong with it?" and he replied "Oh, sometimes they get this magnetic thing." Now, I have no idea what he meant by that, and I'm not sure he really knows exactly either, but he sure knew how to fix the problem. So I wanted to share this problem and the solution with everyone so if it happens to you, you will know how to fix the problem.

Thank heavens for a 17 year old techy in the house.

No comments: